If you think your child has mumps, or you have it yourself:
- Phone Healthline on 0800 611 116 or your family doctor as soon as possible for advice.
- If you are in need of urgent medical care and need to attend a healthcare facility, ring first to let them you know you (or your child) has mumps and wear a mask when you visit. Avoid attending a healthcare centre for minor ailments.
- People with mumps need to stay away from public places for 5 days after developing any swelling. Avoid places such as:
- sports and cultural events
- anywhere you know there are people who aren't vaccinated against mumps, or are at serious risk, eg, because of poor immunity.
If you are not immune (because you haven't had mumps or are not fully vaccinated) and you've been in contact with somebody with mumps:
- Stay away from public places from 12 days after the first day of contact until 25 days after the last day of contact with the person infectious with mumps.