Metabolic syndrome includes:
- a large waist measurement (also called abdominal obesity)
- high blood pressure (also called hypertension)
- high fasting glucose levels in the blood
- high fat levels in the blood (triglycerides)
- low levels of good cholesterol in the blood (HDL).
You have metabolic syndrome when 3 or more of these factors are present. Any one of these problems will increase your risk of developing diabetes, stroke or heart disease, but when you have 3 or more together, the risk is much higher.
Metabolic syndrome and the health problems it causes can be delayed or prevented by making healthy lifestyle changes.
Although not all medical professionals will use the term “metabolic syndrome” to describe this group of problems, they all agree that the problems themselves, especially when combined, will put you at risk of serious health conditions.