Propranolol is used to treat a number of different conditions and related symptoms, such as:
- to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)
- to prevent chest pain (angina)
- to reduce heart rate in people with abnormally fast heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- following a heart attack, to protect the heart
- for essential tremor to reduce the symptoms of trembling and shakes
- to ease the symptoms of anxiety, such as a fast heartbeat, sweating, trembling
- for overactive thyroid gland, to reduce symptoms such as tremor or fast heartbeat
- to prevent migraines.
Propranolol belongs to a group of medicines called beta-blockers. Propranolol works by slowing down your heart rate and making it easier for your heart to pump blood around your body.