Like all medicines, alendronate plus vitamin D can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them. Often side effects improve as your body gets used to the new medicine.
Problems with your jaw
Alendronate plus vitamin D can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. This can be caused by delayed healing in your mouth after some dental procedures. This is quite rare. To reduce the risk of this problem, it is best to take the following steps:
- Take good care of your teeth and mouth (such as brushing your teeth twice a day and regular flossing between your teeth).
- Have regular dental check-ups.
- If you need any dental treatment, it is best that you have this done before you start treatment with alendronate.
- Let your dentist know that you are taking alendronate.
- Talk to your doctor or dentist if you have any loose teeth, tooth pain, swelling or numbness in your jaw.
Alendronate plus vitamin D can rarely cause fractures (breaks) in your thigh bone (upper leg bone). These are called atypical fractures because they appear as cracks on the bone and are not usually related to an injury. If you have pain, weakness or discomfort in your thigh, hip or groin, tell your doctor. These may be warnings that there is some weakness in your bones. You may need x-rays of your legs.
Other side effects
||What should I do?
- Bloating (gas in the tummy)
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Diarrhoea (runny poos)
- These are common when you first start taking alendronate.
- Tell your doctor if troublesome.
- Difficulty swallowing or pain when swallowing
- Heart burn or indigestion
- Chest pain
- Stop taking alendronate and tell your doctor immediately or phone HealthLine 0800 611 116.
- Eye pain
- Red eye
- Changes in your vision
- Sensitive to light
- Floating spots in your vision
- These symptoms are related to inflammation in the eye. This is quite rare.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms.
|Did you know that you can report a side effect of a medicine to CARM (Centre for Adverse Reactions Monitoring)? Report a side effect to a product(external link)