You will be asked to have a tuberculin skin test to see if you have potentially been exposed to the TB bacteria. This could be if your doctor suspects you may have the disease and require treatment, or if you are at risk of catching it and need protection.
You may be more at risk of getting TB if you:
- are in close contact with a person with active TB disease
- were born in a country with higher rates of TB
- traveled to or lived for more than one month in a country with higher rates of TB
- have a weakened immune system such as being HIV-positive
- live or work in certain institutional settings, eg, healthcare facilities.
Read more about TB.