Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome

Also known as reactive airway disease

Key points about RADS

  • Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome (RADS) describes breathing problems that develop after a single exposure to high levels of an irritant gas, smoke, fumes or vapours (eg, from smoke, dust, petrol fumes, laundry detergent or perfume).
  • It's a form of asthma and as it's mostly caused by irritants in the workplace, it's often classified as occupational asthma.
  • Symptoms usually develop rapidly within 24 hours after the exposure and include a tight chest, wheezing, cough and shortness of breath. 
  • Symptoms can range from mild to severe and can last for months to years, or even be fatal as everyday smells and irritants can trigger a life-threatening reaction. 
Fireman in woodland fire canva 950x690
Print this page

Anyone can get RADS. It is caused by a high exposure to irritant gas, smoke, fumes or vapours. This can be from a chemical spill, leak or a fire. RADS usually develops quickly and often symptoms stay for a long period of time.

People who are in certain occupations are at higher risk of exposure to irritants. These include:

  • firefighters
  • cleaners
  • farmers
  • police
  • welders
  • emergency service workers
  • pulp mill workers.

Common irritants include:

  • petrol fumes
  • wood fire
  • smokes
  • perfumes
  • cleaning chemicals such as chlorine.

Symptoms of RADS typically develop within 24 hours (usually less) of exposure to high concentrations of irritants and can last for long periods of time, eg, months to years, even after the irritants are removed. The symptoms are similar to asthma which is why RADS is often misdiagnosed as asthma.

Common symptoms of RADS include:

Contact your GP or go to the nearest emergency department immediately if you have the symptoms above.

It is also important to let your doctor know you were exposed to a high concentration of irritant gas, smoke, fumes or vapours before your symptoms developed.

Your doctor will ask you some questions related to your symptoms. These include about:

  • any exposure to irritants such as gas, smoke, fumes or vapours in high concentrations
  • whether you have been diagnosed with asthma or other lung conditions previously
  • if your symptoms developed suddenly or within 24 hours after you were exposed to irritants
  • your occupation.

Your doctor will examine your lungs and do some tests such as blood tests to check your oxygen levels, a chest x-ray or a spirometry if necessary.

Sometimes, RADS may only be diagnosed after multiple follow-up visits to your doctor. You may need to ask to be referred to a specialist (pulmonologist or respiratory specialist) who is familiar with RADS to get a correct diagnosis.

Treatment of RADS depends on whether it is acute or chronic.

If you have developed any of the symptoms above within 24 hours of exposure to an irritant, you should contact your GP or go to the nearest emergency department immediately. Asthma medicines such as bronchodilators or inhaled corticosteroids are given in an acute situation. 

As symptoms of RADS can last for months or years, for long-term management of the condition, it is helpful to seek a referral to a pulmonologist or respiratory specialist who is familiar with RADS for treatment advice.

Treatment for persistent symptoms is mainly avoidance of exposure to irritants, including those that triggered RADS, cigarette smoke and any other substances that you have allergy reactions to that are not related to RADS.

Medicines such as bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids may also be needed to treat asthma-like symptoms, following the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) step-wise method of using a low dose that is increased or decreased as needed.

If you were exposed to irritants in your workplace, you can safely return to work as long as your symptoms are well controlled and safety measures are taken to avoid high level of exposure to irritants.  

Ongoing exposure to irritants can cause continued inflammation and excess mucus production in your airways, and can make your symptoms worse. Where possible, avoid using substances or irritants that cause your condition.

If the substance or irritant is essential to your daily life or work, it may be possible to replace it with something that is less irritating. You may also be able to reduce exposure by using an exhaust ventilation system or an approved respiratory protection device.

Talk to your employer if the irritants are found in your workplace to find out ways to reduce your exposure.

Worksafe NZ(external link) is a New Zealand-based organisation that provides general information and resources regarding workplace health and safety. You can also makes claims in relation to work-related health problems through ACC NZ(external link), with a range of possible benefits and support. 


pulmonary rehab

Pulmonary rehabilitation – factsheet

Lung Foundation Australia, 2018


Pulmonary rehabilitation – patient information

American Thoracic Society, 2013

Need help now?

Healthline logo in supporters block

Need to talk logo

Healthpoint logo

Credits: Healthify editorial team. Healthify is brought to you by Health Navigator Charitable Trust.

Reviewed by: Dr Helen Kenealy, geriatrician and general physician, Counties Manukau DHB

Last reviewed:

Page last updated: