There's nothing you can’t eat if you have type 2 diabetes, but you'll have to limit certain foods.
- eat a wide range of foods – including fruit, vegetables and some starchy foods like bread, cereal, kumara, potato, pasta and rice in small amounts
- keep all types of sugar (white, raw, brown), fat and salt to a minimum
- eat breakfast, lunch and dinner every day – don’t skip meals.
If you need to change your diet, it might be easier to make small changes every week.
Learn more about:
- healthy eating basics
- food groups
- recommended daily servings of major food groups
- more healthy eating topics.
Need help with changing your diet?
If you find it hard to change your diet, a dietitian might be able to help.
Talk to your GP or diabetes nurse to see if the cost could be covered through your DHB.