Work and income support

Also known as WINZ

Work and income support

  • WINZ support for New Zealanders to help you financially if you're on a low income or not working, support you into work and help you find housing.
  • This Information from the Ministry of Social Development and Work and Income NZ has some of the more common payments and support available.
Healthify Website tiles Generic 2 pale blue
Print this page

On the Work and Income site you can find a full A-Z list of benefits and payments(external link) you can get if you're eligible. Below are some specific ones:

Health and disability 

If you have a health condition or disability there are a number of ways Work and Income may be able to help. Read more about health and disability allowances(external link).

Child disability allowance

Child Disability Allowance is a fortnightly payment made to the main carer of a child or young person with a serious disability. It's paid in recognition of the extra care and attention needed for that child. Learn more about who can get  the child disability allowance.(external link)


If you're caring for someone else,(external link) you may be eligible for help depending on your situation.

Not working?

If you've lost your job or can't work at the moment, you may be able to get a benefit or some other financial help. Read more about WINZ support if you're not working(external link)

Advance payment of benefit

An Advance Payment of Benefit is a one-off payment to help you pay an essential or emergency cost(external link) if you can't pay it another way.

Urgent or unexpected costs

If you're struggling to meet your living costs, or get an unexpected bill ( eg, car repairs, dental treatment, medical costs) Work and Income might be able to help you, even if you're working. Learn what costs WINZ can help you with.(external link)

Help with living expenses

If it's a stretch to pay your living costs like accommodation, school costs, transport costs, power,  see what help with living expenses is available(external link). Read more about the accommodation supplement.(external link)

Nowhere to stay?

If you have nowhere to stay right now or require emergency housing, WINZ may be able to help you find somewhere to stay(external link) until you can get something longer-term.

Relationship changes

If you've had a relationship end or a family break-up, it can be a very stressful time. Learn how Work and Income may be able(external link) to help in a number of ways.

Winter energy payment

The Winter Energy Payment is an extra payment to help with the cost of heating your home(external link) over the winter months.

Working for Families

Working for Families is help from Work and Income and Inland Revenue(external link) (IR) to make it easier to work and raise a family.

Childcare subsidy

Childcare Subsidy is a payment that helps families with the cost of pre-school childcare(external link).

Senior services

Work and Income has information and help available with NZ Superannuation, Veteran's Pension, SuperGold Card(external link) and other payments.


To find out more visit the Work and Income website(external link) and use their check what you can get tool(external link) to find out the ways Work and Income can help you and your whānau.

Work (external link) Work and Income NZ
Benefits and payments homepage(external link) Work and Income, NZ
Your housing options(external link) Ministry of Social Development, NZ

Credits: Healthify editorial team.Healthify is brought to you by Health Navigator Charitable Trust.

Last reviewed: