Young children don't know what medicines are – to them they look like lollies, and it only takes a few minutes for them to help themselves. If children see you taking medicines, they may want to copy you if they find them.
The best place to keep medicines is in a high locked cabinet. If this is not possible, keep them in a place that is hard for children to see and reach. Remember that children over the age of 2 can be expert climbers!
All medicines can be dangerous, especially in overdose. Medicines that you can buy in the supermarket, like paracetamol, are very harmful if too much is taken.
If you think a child or someone else has taken a medicine that is not for them, call the National Poisons Centre(external link) on 0800 764 766 for advice, or call 111 for an ambulance. They will tell you what to do. If you have to go to hospital, take the medicine and the container with you. This will give the hospital good information about the medicine and how much has been taken.