Jock itch is a skin fungal infection causing a red rash that is often itchy and painful. It can affect the inner thighs, groin, genitals and buttocks. Jock itch mainly affects young adult men, though women can also get it.
Jock itch is caused by a fungus, the same fungus that causes ringworm. Read more about ringworm.
Fungi love humid, damp conditions and thrive in areas where the skin folds and is in contact with other skin. You might get jock itch if you:
- Wear tight clothes that irritate your skin.
- Have moisture in your groin area from sweating.
- Wear a wet bathing suit for a long time.
- Share damp towels or sweaty clothing with other people.
- Have close contact with someone who has jock itch.
- Are overweight.
- Have a weakened immune system or diabetes.