Back pain might make you think that you need to avoid activities that are good for your health and your recovery, such as daily activities, work, and regular physical activity.
- Activities may need to be modified at first. Gradually building your activity levels and work demands will help you to get back to normal life quickly.
- It's safe to have some pain while working or being active but if your pain is winding up or you are distressed it is okay to ease up.
Back pain is one of the most common reasons for time off work, but staying at work has been shown to improve recovery, although you may need to modify some tasks. When you have back pain, keep as active as you can.
Resting in bed doesn't help and can make symptoms worse. Although you may feel some pain when you're active, it is safe to exercise while you have back pain.
Benefits of keeping active
- It helps you to keep doing things that are important or that you enjoy.
- It helps you feel more positive.
- It shifts your focus away from your back.
- It gives you an opportunity to be with others.
- It improves your confidence in your back
- It helps to control your pain.
- It helps you feel more in control.
- It enables you to be able to return to work more quickly.
- It makes you feel better.