A social worker provides help and support to people with social issues such as housing, employment, financial or other personal issues. They work with people of all ages regardless of their race and ethnicity.
A social worker can work in many different areas. These include:
- child protection
- community work and community development
- diversity specific services (eg Chinese, Korean, Sāmoan, rainbow, spiritually-based)
- hospitals and primary healthcare
- iwi and marae-based social services
- management and supervision
- mental health and addictions
- policy development
- refugees and migrants
- residential care
- tertiary education
- youth justice.