A pharmacist helps to prepare and dispense medicines prescribed by your healthcare team. Some pharmacists can prescribe your medicines, but they must have special training in prescribing and are called a pharmacist prescriber.
Low or no data? Visit zero.govt.nz, scroll down the page then click on our logo to return to our site and browse for free.
Key points about pharmacists
- A pharmacist is someone who is an expert in medicines.
- A pharmacist helps to prepare and dispense medicines prescribed by your healthcare team.
A pharmacist can work in a healthcare facility or in the community. Examples of where a pharmacist can work include:
- private clinics
- community pharmacies
- pharmaceutical companies.
Be prepared for winter, learn about how a pharmacist can support you by watching this video.
(Te Whatu Ora & Te Aka Whai Ora, NZ, 2023)
A pharmacist can help with the following:
- Preparing, mixing and dispensing medicines prescribed by your doctor, midwife, nurse or other prescribing health professional.
- Providing information about prescription and non-prescription medicines, including what they are for, how much you need to take them, side effects and when you need to take them.
- Providing advice on health issues, lifestyle choices or treatments for minor health conditions.
- Advising your doctor on the selection, dosage or interactions of medicines for a certain medical condition.
- Carrying out clinical drug trials.
Your doctor will let you know whether you need any prescription medicines for your medical condition.
A pharmacist is always available in one of the community pharmacies. If you need prescription medicines, you will need to get them from a pharmacy with a prescription form. You can also speak to a pharmacist if you have any questions without being referred by your doctor. Find a pharmacist in your local area here.
Apart from dispensing medicines, community pharmacies offer a range of services to keep you and your family well. Some pharmacies provide more services than others. The following are a few examples. If you are unsure whether your pharmacy provides these services, give them a call.
|Examples of services offered by some pharmacies|
Your pharmacist can also show you how to use devices such as asthma inhalers, diabetes blood test kits, blood pressure machines and air humidifiers.
Pharmacist(external link) Careers NZ
What is a pharmacist and what do they do?(external link) Healthpoint, NZ
What services do pharmacies provide?(external link) Healthpoint, NZ
- Pharmacist(external link) Careers NZ
- What is a pharmacist and what do they do?(external link) Healthpoint, NZ
- What services do pharmacies provide?(external link) Healthpoint, NZ
Credits: Healthify Editorial Team. Healthify is brought to you by Health Navigator Charitable Trust.
Page last updated: