The B4 School Check is done by a registered nurse and will take about 45 minutes. It includes:
- a child health questionnaire
- a questionnaire about your child's strengths and any things they find difficult
- an assessment of how well your child is developing
- hearing and vision screening
- measurement of height and weight
- oral health assessment – Lift the Lip
- health promotion and education
- referrals to appropriate health, education or social services and follow up if required
- immunisation (if overdue) where possible
- the opportunity for you to talk about anything that is concerning you about your tamariki.
Video: The B4 School Check
Read more about the content of the B4School Check.(external link) This video may take a few moments to load.
The B4 School Check is the 12th (and final) core contact of the Well Child Tamariki Ora schedule of services(external link). It is not designed to pick up every health problem your child might have, so if you have any concerns about your child at any time, talk to your family doctor.
For more information on the B4 School Check talk to your Plunket Nurse, doctor or local Well Child provider. You can also:
- Find out who to contact in your region(external link) about the B4 School Check
- Call Healthline on 0800 611 116 for parenting advice and health education information through their Well Child line.
Video: Your Child: Well Child Tamariki Ora visits
This video may take a few moments to load.
(Ministry Health, NZ, 2015)