|By Counties Manukau District Health Board
|Country of origin
|Security and privacy
|Does the app:
Read more about safety and security when using apps.
|This app contains no ads.
|How to get the app
Low or no data? Visit zero.govt.nz, scroll down the page then click on our logo to return to our site and browse for free.
- Manawa is a suicide safety plan app for users to create their own survival plan to know what to do when things feel really bad.
Manawa app is a survival plan app to help users make their own plan to manage and reduce suicidal feelings and stay safe when these feelings emerge. ‘Manawa’ symbolises having hope in your heart, it's the driving force behind why you are putting this plan together.
The survival plan covers the following 7 areas:
- Recognising warning signs.
- My reasons to live.
- Keeping safe – reducing potential for use of lethal means.
- What can I do by myself – using internal coping strategies (without contacting another person).
- Who can I connect with – socialising with others as a way of distraction.
- My supporters – contacting whānau members, friends or professionals to help resolve crisis.
This app is based on the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand and Ministry of Health booklet, “Having suicidal thoughts and finding a way back(external link)”.
If you need help, or want to talk to somebody about your mental health, you can get support from any of the following:
- Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor.
- Lifeline 0800 543 354 (0800 LIFELINE) or free text 4357 (HELP).
- Suicide Crisis Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO).
- Healthline 0800 611 116.
- Samaritans 0800 726 666.
Disclaimer: The NZ Health App Library is a free consumer service to help you decide whether a health app would be suitable for you. Our review process is independent. We have no relationship with the app developers or companies and no responsibility for the service they provide. This means that if you have an issue with one of the apps we have reviewed, you will need to contact the app developer or company directly.
Credits: Healthify editorial team. Healthify is brought to you by Health Navigator Charitable Trust.